May 27, 2014

Tip Tuesday

Hope you and your family had a great Memorial Day. My husband and I took a trip to Washington, DC....such a great place to celebrate and honor those who served. Now I'm back to school and ready to share a reading tip with you....
My mom (who is also a teacher) and I were talking about how we wanted to implement close reading in our classrooms. It's a way for the students to really go deeper in their reading, which strengthens their comprehension. Here is a really informative article about its positive effects. I created this packed (with a cute "dive into reading" theme) that includes two anchor charts (the steps of close reading and the marks used for a pencil read). It also includes reading response worksheets for students to use. These are great for if your students are reading a text that you don't want them to mark up, but you still want them to do a pencil read. You can staple them together with a blank page and allow the students to illustrate a cover for the text they just read. Check them out here and feel free to share your thoughts/ideas about close reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment